February 28, 2022
Tree Canada is the only national non-profit organization dedicated to planting and nurturing trees in rural and urban environments. Through our programs, research and engagement efforts, we have helped restore tree cover in areas hit by natural disasters, guided communities in managing their urban forests, supported over 700 schoolyard greening projects, and organized urban forest conferences. To date, with our community partners and sponsors, we have planted more than 84 million trees. If you believe in the benefits of trees and are looking for a dynamic workplace that is poised for growth, Tree Canada would love to hear from you!
As a Program Manager with Tree Canada, you will become part of an energetic team of dedicated professionals who are working in the pursuit of a greener and healthier living environment for all Canadians. The Program Manager reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for providing leadership to the rural and urban parts of Tree Canada’s operational programs including: Community Tree Grants, Partners in Planting, Operation ReLeaf, ensuring that projects are completed according to the Tree Canada mandate, to a professional standard and in a cost-effective manner.
In this role, you will help Tree Canada to develop and support urban and rural forest projects across the country. You will work with Indigenous communities, conservation organizations, and municipalities to support and implement tree planting projects. You will apply project management and technical expertise to implement planting programs with Community Advisers in selected sites across Canada.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Strong background in urban forestry
• Solid knowledge of tree biology with practical field experience
• Experience working with diverse stakeholders including municipalities, universities, and the private sector
• Detail oriented and organized with a demonstrated client-focused mindset
• Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and communication skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in both English and French
• Ability to manage multiple projects while meeting deliverable deadlines and budgets.
• Ability to work both independently and with a team in a collaborative environment.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency with videoconferencing tools, Dropbox, Microsoft Word and Excel including manipulation within spreadsheets (i.e., sorting, basic formulas)
• Knowledge and experience in Salesforce and OpenWater an asset
• Respect for the values and differences that all members of a small team bring to an office environment; adaptable to different approaches and flexible to move in new directions.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Applying program management and technical expertise for Tree Canada related programs including: Community Tree Grants, Partners in Planting, Operation ReLeaf, urban programs in assigned regions of Canada.
• Understanding the needs of funders on project objectives, deliverables, schedule, cost, and implementation.
• Implementing planting programs with Community Advisers in selected sites across Canada.
• Facilitating and leading meetings and activities to gain consensus on project objectives, deliverables, schedule, cost, and implementation considerations.
• Ensure all appropriate project deliverables are completed and handled in accordance with documented standards.
• Support Tree Canada initiatives by providing technical expertise on urban forestry topics.
• Provide education and outreach to Tree Canada’s audience in conjunction with the Communications department.
• Representing Tree Canada at selected trade shows throughout Canada and delivering presentations to municipalities, community groups and others.
• Performing other duties as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Post-secondary education in arboriculture, forestry, environmental studies, land use planning, or geography or a combination of education and experience in a related field.
• At least 2 years of project management and implementation related experience preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Date Updated 25/02/2022
Status NewDate Ad Expires
March 9, 2022
How to apply
If you are looking for a challenge and an opportunity to shape a unique and creative environmental organization, please indicate your interest by forwarding a résumé and cover letter addressing how your qualifications and experience meet the requirements for the position to [email protected] under the subject “Program Manager” by March 22, 2022. We thank all candidates for their interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.