Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
July 20, 2021
Reporting to the Transportation Supervisor, the Arborist is responsible for executing maintenance activities for trees within the municipal road allowance, right of ways, parks, public open spaces, wood lots, and other locations as required. This position performs various arborist tasks including inspections; diagnosis of pests and disease; recommends action plans for severe pest infestations; tree planting, watering, fertilizing, pruning, and removal. The Arborist also performs routine Public Works maintenance activities, including the operation of trucks, tractors, front-end loaders, use of hand-operated and power operated tools. Duties also include providing excellent customer service and liaising with residents and the general public on all aspects of municipal tree maintenance; documenting and maintaining records related to all tree maintenance activities, service requests, and public inquiries using corporate work order and service request management services; and performing other related duties as assigned.
Department: Public Works
Status: Full-Time, Permanent, Union position (CUPE)
Date Posted: July 19, 2021
Date Closing: August 2, 2021, 4:30 p.m.
Number of Positions: 1
Scheduled Hours/Shifts: 40 hours per week; 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday
Salary Range: $26.750 – 29.080 per hour (2016-2020 Collective Agreement)
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated working knowledge of:
- Tree identification techniques;
- ISA A300 pruning techniques;
- All safety procedures required to perform daily activities;
- Must have strong customer service skills.
Candidates must also possess the following:
- College Diploma in Forestry, Urban Forestry, Arboriculture or a related discipline;
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certification (Municipal Specialist) required; Integrated Pest Management Accreditation (IMP) and/or Landscape and Forestry Pesticide License are an asset;
- Minimum of 2 (two) years of related municipal tree maintenance experience including tree inspections, risk assessment, structural integrity, insect/disease identification, and pruning techniques;
- Ability to interpret engineering and landscaping drawings, aerial photos, and GIS maps;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; computerized work management systems; arboriculture software programs; tree inventory programs; and other related databases systems and programs;
- Good organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Ability to competently operate various equipment related to arboriculture activities, road maintenance, and parks maintenance;
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff, government, elected officials, suppliers, contract services, and the general public in a courteous and effective manner;
- Valid Ontario Class “DZ” Driver’s Licence in good standing; “AZ” license is an asset;
- Successful applicants to this position will be required to provide a Police Criminal Record Check and Driver’s Abstract that is satisfactory to the Town prior to their start date.
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $26.750 – $29.080 per hour (2016-2020 Collective Agreement)
Date Updated 19/07/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
August 2, 2021
How to apply
Please forward your resume in confidence by August 2, 2021 at 4:30 p.m., identifying Job # 2021-045-IE – Last Name, First Name in the subject line to [email protected]
Committed to diversity and a barrier-free environment: Whitchurch-Stouffville is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. As we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Town, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.