Town of Newmarket
January 19, 2021
Town of Newmarket
Under the direction of the Manager, Parks & Property Services, the Supervisor, Forestry is responsible for the day to day delivery of activities of Forestry within the Parks and Property Services. This involves the development and delivery urban forestry management plans, block pruning strategies and general urban canopy management. Review, inspection and approval of forestry related components in new developments and the development of forestry related standards and policies for the Town’s urban forest, natural heritage and woodlots. Oversee all forestry maintenance programs, including but not limited to tree hazard assessments, pest and disease management, canopy maintenance and tree removal and planting.
• Demonstrated responsible experience at a supervisory level.
• Demonstrated customer service orientation, interpersonal, consultative, organizational, project management, problem-solving, analytical and presentation skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of budget preparation and management, both operational and capital.
• Proficient in the use of MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and the ability to use programs and systems helpful in tracking park data associated with inventory and maintenance of flowers, trees and shrubs.
• Practical working knowledge of forestry and maintenance associated with materials and supplies, applicable health and safety legislation, equipment operations and maintenance procedures. This includes working knowledge of parking lots, forestry management, integrated pest management, woodlots, bridges, winter maintenance and special events support.
• A practical working knowledge of chemicals, fertilizers, herbicide pesticides in conjunction with Forestry.
• Knowledge of applicable legislation and experience in applying: Environmental Safety Act, By-Laws, WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Book 7 Transportation Act and Ontario Pesticide Act.
• Knowledge related to operating heavy duty parks equipment such as bucket truck, dump truck and tractor, in order to inspect, train, operate, and maintain equipment in good working order to ensure health and safety of public and subordinates.
• Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public, staff, suppliers, contractors, other departments and levels of government.
• Ability and flexibility to work overtime and respond to after hour emergencies.
• Due to the nature of the contacts of this position, a Police Vulnerable Sector Check satisfactory to the Town is required.
• Knowledge of applicable legislation, bylaws, legal proceedings and the ability to interpret legislation such as Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA), Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), Liquor and Gaming Control Commission, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Employment Standards Act as well as the Canadian Standards Association Standards.
• Knowledge of asset management in order to understand life expectancies of park components and assets, such as greenhouse materials and supplies, forestry equipment, trees, perennials and shrubs which supports the commission’s asset management program.
• Post-secondary degree in Forestry, or related equivalent plus progressive, directly related experience preferably in a municipal environment.
• Experience should include the following technical areas: urban forestry management, arboriculture, horticulture or equivalent combination of education and experience and be certified by the ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) as an Arborist.
• CPR and First Aid Certification, WHMIS, Supervisor health and safety training.
• Experience with related equipment and tools such as specialty forestry and horticulture equipment, greenhouses, and general parks related equipment.
• Class “D” driver’s licence with “Z” brake endorsement in good standing in order to operate equipment as needed.
Salary: $78,862 – $98,577/year
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $78,862 - $98,577/year
Date Updated 19/01/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
February 8, 2021
How to apply
Please apply online at: https://newmarket.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/JobSearch/viewAll