The Corporation of the City of Brantford
December 16, 2019
Urban Forestry Coordinator
Reporting to the Supervisor of Horticulture, Turf and Forestry, the Urban Forestry Coordinator works together with the Urban Forestry team to assist in the provision of effective forestry operations and management of the urban forest. This position is responsible for providing technical consultation and review of forestry-related issues, responding to development inquiries, as well as updating current standards, contracts, specifications, and work procedures.
In addition the Urban Forestry Coordinator will facilitate the implementation of improved tree management software, systems, prepare terms of reference for vegetation management plans, retain consultants and monitor implementation. Other tasks include performing tree inspections, prioritizing forestry work orders, coordinating tree maintenance contractors and in-house forestry crews as required, ensuring high quality work performance, safe work practices and professional customer service response.
Responsibilities of this position also include on-call response: handling off-hour Parks Services inquiries on a rotating schedule as well as for off -hour emergency/storm events as may arise.
- Demonstrated experience providing forestry related technical consultation and development review; preparing/reviewing vegetation management plans, arborist reports;
- Familiarity with contract management and administration; experience preparing contract specification documents, overseeing work completion and procurement processes;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of arboricultural best management practices and related legislation;
- Clear and precise verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated experience dealing with the public and strong conflict resolution abilities;
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency with MS Word, Excel, various tree management software system(s), ArcGIS and other work flow management applications;
- Strong analytical and organizational abilities, with attention to detail;
- Understanding of Health and Safety related legislation, guidelines and practices including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and IHSA;
- A valid “G” Ontario driver’s license in good standing is required;
- First Aid with level “C” CPR is required prior to commencing employment;
- As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must submit a current successful Police Clearance Certificate (dated within the last three months) from their local police service for approval by the Corporation;
- NOTE: Applicants may be required to undergo additional assessment testing.
- Post –secondary degree in environmental sciences, urban forestry, environmental studies, or combined equivalent diploma in a forestry, arboriculture or ecology related program;
- Minimum 3 years work experience in the care and management of the urban forest; performing tree inspections, working as part of a forestry crew and coordinating tree maintenance operations;
- ISA Arborist Certification.
$39.12 to $48.90 per hour (based on 35 hour a week), plus benefits.
Date Ad Expires
January 2, 2020
How to apply
To apply on-line, please visit the City of Brantford website at https://careers.brantford.ca/ and click on Current Opportunities.
Closing date for applications: Thursday, January 2, 2020, at 4:30 p.m.
Information gathered relative to this position will only be used for candidate selection.
We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume, however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Our organization is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.