The Corporation of the City of Brantford
January 22, 2021
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry and Horticulture, the Forestry 1 position is responsible for performing ground duties in support of forestry job tasks assigned to the in house Forestry crews. This position will work closely with the Forestry 2 position. Responsibilities include participating in all job site safety briefings, assisting with the implementation of work zone safety procedures, operating forestry related equipment such as chainsaws, blowers, pruners and chippers in a safe and efficient manner. Other tasks include assisting climbers aloft with rigging and required felling procedures. Hours of work are eight (8) hour shifts scheduled in advance. Hours may include evenings, weekends and holidays. At times unscheduled hours may also be required as this position is required to respond to emergency situations caused by wind storms, ice storms or other event(s). Overtime and on call response (on rotation) is a requirement of this position.
• Successful completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
• Previous demonstrated experience in forestry or landscape operations and utilization of related equipment including chainsaws and chippers
• DZ Ontario driver’s license in good standing
• I.H.S.A. Utility Safety Awareness course or EUSA equivalent
• Aerial Bucket Rescue and Fall Arrest training
• Working at Heights training
• Aerial Tree Rescue training
• Professional Chainsaw safety and cutting techniques certificate
• Book 7 and Chipper training
• Excellent customer service and communication skills, ability to follow written and verbal instructions to complete duties efficiently and safely
• Ability to work constructively both in a team environment and independently with minimal supervision
• Physically fit and able to complete labour intensive work, including heavy lifting
• Successful applicant must obtain a current First Aid and CPR Level C certification
• As a condition of employment, candidates must submit a current Police Clearance Certificate (dated within the last three months)
Other duties include:
• Daily inspection of equipment
• Job site setups (tailboard, Book 7)
• Processing and chipping of debris
• Assisting in rigging with ropes
• Minor pruning of trees
• Equipment maintenance
• Removing and processing large pieces of wood from removals
• Attending tailgate/work assignment meetings
$21.52-$26.90 / HOUR
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $21.52
Pay Rate 21.52
Status NewDate Ad Expires
February 4, 2021
How to apply
To apply on-line, please visit the City of Brantford website at https://careers.brantford.ca/ and click on Current Opportunities.
Closing date for applications: Thursday, February 4, 2021, at 4:30 p.m.
Information gathered relative to this position will only be used for candidate selection.
We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume, however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Our organization is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.