The Corporation of the City of Brantford
September 23, 2021
Urban Forestry Technician
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry and Horticulture, the Urban Forestry Technician will investigate municipal tree-related issues relating to hazards, disease, pests and construction, generate and prioritize forestry work orders; and coordinate and oversee in-house crews and contractors performing tree maintenance operations. A significant proportion of the job involves responding to public inquiries, performing tree inspections and providing subsequent work assignments to in-house as well as contracted tree crews. Other responsibilities include: on-call response on a rotating schedule as well as for emergency/severe storm events; developing and updating the tree data base inventory using various tree management software system(s) and coordination of contracted tree planting, stumping and other related operations as may be required. The Technician will work together with the Forestry Division team to provide prompt and professional customer service and improve efficiencies related to forestry operations in the City of Brantford.
• Applicant must have successfully completed a two (2) year community college program or post-secondary equivalent in Urban Forestry, Arboriculture or related field
• Minimum of 2 years and demonstrated practical site /work experience related to the above noted duties in the care and management of the urban forest
• ISA Certification
• Clear and precise verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated experience dealing with the public and strong conflict resolution abilities
• Excellent computer skills including proficiency with MS Word, Excel, various tree management software system(s), ArcGIS and other work flow management>applications
• Strong organizational abilities, attention to detail and a good understanding of contract management
• Understanding of Health and Safety related legislation, guidelines and practices including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and IHSA
• A valid “G” Ontario driver’s licence in good standing is required
• First Aid with level “C” CPR is required prior to commencing employment
• As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must submit a current successful Police Clearance Certificate (dated within the last three months) from their local police service for approval by the Corporation
• NOTE: Applicants may be required to undergo additional assessment testing
$35.02 to $43.77 per hour (based on 35 hours a week) plus benefits.
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $35.02 to $43.77
Pay Rate 35.02
Date Updated 23/09/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
October 7, 2021
How to apply
To apply on-line, please visit the City of Brantford website at https://careers.brantford.ca/ and click on Current Opportunities.
Closing date for applications: Thursday, October 7, 2021, at 4:30 p.m.
Information gathered relative to this position will only be used for candidate selection.
We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume, however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Our organization is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.