The City of Windsor
July 10, 2021
City of Windsor
Reporting to the City Forester/Manager of Forestry & Natural Areas or designate, this position will be responsible for the care, maintenance, removal, trimming and brush removal of shade and ornamental trees within the City of Windsor utilizing an aerial bucket on public right-of-ways and parkland. Planting trees for urban reforestation and use of spray chemicals for disease and insect control will be a component of the position. Incumbent must be physically fit and a good climber with the ability to work from rope and saddle, ladder or aerial bucket at all heights.
Duties will include the safe operation and maintenance of all forestry tools, such as chainsaws, ropes, pole saws, pruners, extension pruners, cables, shovels, and axes; climb using ladders, ropes, and saddle techniques. The incumbent will be required to utilize proper forestry techniques and equipment in a safe and efficient manner when operating various equipment including bucket trucks, boom trucks, and chippers. Will be required to lift, carry, push and pull tree limbs, materials, and supplies utilizing devices such as a Ball Buggy or Dolly. The incumbent will guide and instruct new staff as required. Shift work may be required as needed for emergency response calls due to storms or accidents and special work order requirements. Will be required to work in all types of weather conditions with minimum supervision. Will be required to observe safety regulations at all times and maintain amiable relations with the public and fellow staff. Will perform Occupational Health & Safety duties as outlined in the Corporation’s Health and Safety Program. Will perform other related duties as required.
- Must have an Ontario Secondary School diploma combined with a post-secondary school Community College certificate in an Arboriculture program or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalencies and over one (1) year tree maintenance work experience in an urban environment.
- Must also hold the classification for Forestry Assistant and Forestry III per Article 12.01 of the C.U.P.E. Local 82 Collective Agreement;
- Must hold and maintain a current valid and lawful Class ‘D’ driver’s license with ‘Z’ endorsement in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver’s abstract as a condition of employment;
- Must complete a post-offer agility test in an effort to assist the successful candidate in completing the position tasks safely and to aid in minimizing injuries on the job;
- Must be thoroughly familiar with current arboricultural practices, including full tree trim, tree planting, whole tree removal, and disease and insect control;
- Must be thoroughly familiar with the care, maintenance, and use of all hand tools and mechanical equipment used in Arboriculture;
- Must have a thorough knowledge of all native and introduced tree species growing in the Windsor area, including identification, growth habits, and pest problems;
- Must have good public relations skills and ability to work in a team environment;
- Landscape Exterminator, Industrial Vegetation Exterminator, and Forestry Exterminator licenses from the Ministry of the Environment and successful completion of “Cutter” operator training endorsed by the Ministry of Labour would be considered as an asset;
- Certification as an Arborist, Utility or Municipal Specialist through the International Society of Arborists (ISA) considered an asset;
- The physical demands analysis associated with this job indicates a heavy level of work.
Position: Forestry II
Job Posting: #2021-0228
Posting Period: Friday, July 9, 2021, at 8:30 a.m. to Friday, July 23, 2021, 4:30 p.m.
|DEPARTMENT:||Parks Operations – Forestry & Natural Areas||UNION:||C.U.P.E. Local 82|
|POSITION STATUS:||Regular Full-time||GRADE/CLASS:||EA4 – Band 7|
|# OF POSITIONS:||1 (ONE)||RATE OF PAY:||$31.09 per hour|
|POSITION #:||00003315||SHIFT WORK REQ’D:||Yes|
|HOURS OF WORK:||40 hours per week.|
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $31.09/hr
Date Updated 10/07/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
July 23, 2021
How to apply
- An online application is available and must be completed and submitted by no later than the posting period noted. Internet access is available at your local library branch.
- If you require assistance to apply online, please contact [email protected] or call (519) 255-6515.
- The City of Windsor strives to protect all personal information submitted via the internet in response to job postings. We will not ask you to provide your social insurance number or banking or other financial information. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. We cannot guarantee that data in our system is immune from unauthorized access. Please have this in mind when you decide to respond to job postings.
To apply for this position, click APPLY NOW
- Only those applicants selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
- We offer a smoke-free office environment.
- Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 25 as amended and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- The Corporation of the City of Windsor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Windsor will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process, please inform the City of Windsor Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.