The City of Owen Sound
March 2, 2020
Under the general direction of the Parks and Cemetery Supervisor, this position is responsible for assisting with selection, planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs and plant materials on Municipal properties and to perform various parks operations including grounds maintenance, basic carpentry, captive bird husbandry, turf maintenance, cemetery assignments, customer service and other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years arboricultural experience including pruning, removal, rigging, planting and fertilizing. Experience in a municipal environment is an asset.
- Valid Ontario Licence with “D” and “Z” endorsement;
- Ability to instruct staff engaged in pruning, removal and planting of trees;
- Knowledge and experience in the use, care and safe operation of chain saws, motorized pole saws, brush chippers, aerial devices, and associated vehicles, hand tools and equipment, including front-end loaders, tractors, trucks, mowers etc;
- Knowledge of accepted rigging techniques used in the safe lowering of tree limbs and trunks;
- Strong knowledgeable of applicable legislation and industry standards including but not limited to the Occupational Health & Safety Act (and associated regulations), the Highway Traffic Act, working at heights legislation, Ontario Pesticides Act and Arborist safe work practices;
- High degree of mechanical aptitude and an ability to perform minor equipment adjustments and repair;
- Basic computer skills. Ability to open, read and comprehend electronic messaging ie. Outlook;
- Ability to review and interpret work orders using computerized software;
- Effective communication skills and attention to detail are considered essential to the success of the incumbent.
Education & Training Required:
- College Diploma or Equivalent experience commensurate with the duties and responsibilities described.
- Current certificate of qualification in Aboriculture
- Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture as a Certified Arborist
- Valid Ministry of Labour Working at Heights Certification
- Aerial Lift/ Elevating Platform Certification
Education and Training Assets:
- Powerline/Utility Arborist Certification is an asset
- Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7 certification is an asset
- Ontario Pesticides Applicator’s license – Herbicide Certification
StatusDate Ad Expires
March 12, 2020
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter for this position, indicating Job # 2020- 20 by March 12, 2020 to: [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, and will only be used for candidate selection. The City of Owen Sound is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the AODA and the Ontario Human Rights Code.