July 4, 2019
The Administrative Assistant performs the day-to-day administrative processes that support operational functions for the International Society of Arboriculture Ontario (ISAO).
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position is a key liaison as a front-line contact with ISAO members, prospective members, volunteers, the Board of Directors and the public, providing support for the delivery of ISAO services, products, and programs. The Administrative Assistant works directly with the Executive Director in this support capacity.
- Good understanding of ISA Ontario’s vision statement and adheres to ISAO core values and policies;
- Assists the Executive Director in management of the day-to-day activities of the ISA Ontario office to ensure defined objectives are met;
- Provides administrative deliverables to optimize the effectiveness of the Executive Director, Website & Communications Coordinator, the Board of Directors, and various ISAO Committees;
- Compiles and provides business and performance information routinely to the Executive Director, the Board of Directors and Committee chairs;
- Identifies and recommends administrative and process changes or improvements that more effectively support the business and operations of the ISA Ontario team;
- Organizes work in accordance with established priorities;
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned or as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Executive Director with event management logistics and delivery, with promotional efforts, and with all Chapter operations;
- Maintains filing systems, administrates workshop registrations and handles telephone, mail and e-mail inquiries;
- Maintains ISAO member, volunteer and committee membership lists;
- Takes and distributes meeting minutes (in accordance with to ISA Ontario’s Policies and Procedures) at ISA Ontario Board and Executive Committee meetings.
- Processes Chapter financial transactions in collaboration with the ISAO bookkeeper;
- Maintains financial documentation for workshops and events.
- Performs the Chapter’s retail sales operation including receiving payment and issuance of receipts (using Square Up), inventory control and order fulfillment;
- Processes membership applications, and sends out new members packages;
- Responds to member inquiries;
- Assists with membership communication through the bi-monthly publication, e-blasts, website, etc.
The Administrative Assistant supports the logistical needs of the education program, working closely with the Executive Director and the Education Committee Chair. This includes handling registration, providing information to course attendees, maintaining course files and advising on and recommending resolution to course registration and delivery logistics problems.
Responsible and Accountable for:
- Responds to inquiries and/or refers them to appropriate ISAO staff or volunteers;
- Receives and responds to and/or redirects inquiries from ISA International;
- Attend meetings with other ISA Ontario team members and volunteers in a support capacity;
- Collects, inputs and maintains documentation related to ISA International programs delivered by ISAO such as Continuing Education Units (CEU) approval, Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ), etc.;
- Supporting the Executive Director and Education Committee Chair, maintains relevant files for contracts, instructor bios, course descriptions, and CEU requests;
- Supports the Website & Communications Coordinator and Education Committee Chair in developing and maintaining Workshop registration web pages;
- Prepares and distributes approved payments for ISAO vendors and for ISAO staff and volunteers expense claims;
- Supports the Annual Meeting of Members (AMM); registering members for the meeting, taking the meeting minutes and preparing voting cards and ballots in consultation with the Governance and Policy and Procedure Committee Chair.
- Responds to inquiries from the general public, members, and prospective members;
- Refers inquires to the ISAO Executive Committee, as appropriate;
- Distributes education materials.
You must have and your resume must clearly describe the following qualifications:
- Minimum 4 years of experience in an office management role, within a team-based workplace;
- Considerable experience in office management;
- Experience in handling accounts receivable and accounts payable;
- Considerable experience with Microsoft Office Suite and with database use;
- Significant experience with social media;
- Must be legally able to work in Canada.
You must also have, and may be tested and interviewed on:
- Strong knowledge of office management principles, practices, techniques, and tools (including MS Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Good knowledge of both the concepts and processes of accounts receivable and accounts payable;
- Good working knowledge of WordPress (or equivalent similar software and ability to learn WordPress quickly) and social media;
- Ability to work in a team environment supporting management and staff, Board of Directors and volunteer committees and the ability to anticipate and to respond to their needs;
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to effectively handle complaints and deal with conflict;
- Good written communication skills appropriate for business correspondence, e-mail and social media;
- Ability to solve problems related to work functions;
- Ability to handle the simultaneous demands of multiple programs, and able to prioritize and manage time well in order to meet deadlines;
- Ability to manage own work effectively with minimum direction and supervision.
Must be able to operate a telephone, calculator, postage machine, and computer, including repeated operation of a computer keyboard and mouse. Must be able to work Monday through Friday, regular business hours. Must be available off-hours as situations require. Must be able to travel occasionally by airplane, automobile, or other modes of public transportation.
ISA ONTARIO DESCRIPTION AND MANDATE:
The Ontario Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture, also known as ISA Ontario (ISAO), is a component chapter of the larger international body. ISA enjoys a rich heritage as a scientific and educational organization with the primary mission of disseminating information and knowledge in the care and preservation of trees.
The Ontario Chapter sits consistently at just over 1,000 members, while the international membership has over 22,000 members, divided among almost 50 chapters and associate organizations worldwide – the world’s largest such organization.
The ISAO is involved in many major projects and initiatives throughout the province relating to best industry practices, arborist education and training, and public education and awareness. Our membership is diverse, ranging from commercial, municipal and utilities arborists; through educators and students, and on to landscape contractors, landscape architects and grounds managers. This diversity contributes to the strength of ISAO. Central to all of this stands the tree, the focal point of our membership.
COMPENSATION: CDN$40,000 / annually for a 35 hour work week. Flex-time scheduling will be required where meetings and events occur outside of the normal Mon-Fri daytime schedule. This is a contract position with no benefits outside of the contract.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, ISAO
WORK LOCATION: 7856 Fifth Line South, Milton ON L9T 2X8. Note: Attendance at meetings and events in other locations is required. To facilitate this you must have a driver’s license and access to a car.
Date Ad Expires
July 22, 2019
How to apply
If you’re interested in working with a fun, dynamic, passionate and dedicated team of volunteers and staff, please submit your application to: https://bit.ly/2JsOaLL No phone calls or emails, please.