City of Kitchener
February 17, 2021
Tree Inventory Inspector (Temporary Full-Time for approximately 8 months)
City of Kitchener
Competition Number: 21-791
Job Code: 1241
Posting Date: February 11, 2021
Closing Date: February 26, 2021
Job Status: Temporary Full-Time
Your primary responsibility will be the inventorying of city trees along streets and in parks. During the inspection you will measure and assess the trees health, structure, risk (Level I and II) and proposed maintenance. The information you collect will build on an earlier inventory. All data collection will be done using a GIS based, mobile system that is built on established industry standards and best practices. You will have strong arboriculture/urban forestry field skills, with a demonstrated ability to correctly identify and accurately assess urban trees in all seasons. Your ability to plan and manage your time in the field will be critical ensuring that you meet the daily and weekly targets for the number of trees inventoried. You will have good interpersonal skills that allow you to work in a team environment and communicate with the general public in a professional and efficient manner. This project will also include focused educational training and mentoring opportunities that will further build skills and knowledge in this and related urban forestry work in addition to the knowledge gained in participating in a city wide tree inventory.
• Your primary responsibility with be inventorying the city’s street and park trees collecting information on the trees location, health, structure and risk
• Other assigned responsibilities
• 2 Year College Diploma in Arboriculture, Forestry or related field or an Arborist Certificate of Qualification in accordance with the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act;
• Minimum 1 years of progressive work experience in arboriculture or urban forestry;
• Must be an ISA Certified Arborist;
• Must have the ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) or able to acquire prior to start date;
• Must have strong tree identification and diagnostic (tree biology, tree health, structure & risk) skills, with the ability to use these skills in all seasons. (Note you may be required to demonstrate your skills);
• Must be able to work independently and in a team, while achieving required daily/weekly targets;
• Must be able to walk 5 or more hours each day, while working in a variety of weather conditions.(Note you may be requested to demonstrate your physical fitness through a test);
• Must be efficient and able to use a mobile data collection unit for 5 or more hours daily;
• Must have a Valid MTO Class “G” Drivers license in good standing, applicants with 6 or more points will be considered ineligible;
• Must have access to a reliable personal vehicle for work use. Reimbursement for mileage will occur;
• Good communication skills, with the ability to communicate with the general public about trees;
• Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office and ArcGIS would be an asset;
• Preference may be given to people with past experience inventorying trees within a city.
Department: Infrastructure Services
Division: Parks and Cemeteries
Union Affiliation: CUPE 791
Number of Positions: 2
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week
Facility Location: Kitchener Operations
Compensation Salary Range: $48,142 – $60,177
Grade / Band: 5
Salary Rate: $48,142 - $60,177
Date Updated 17/02/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
March 13, 2021
How to apply
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy #II-110, “Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials”. “The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students.”