Program Techs – Ground Worker Training Program
July 19, 2021
Program Technician - Independent Contractor* (3-4 vacancies, each location)
Toronto Region / Ottawa Region
*Preference will be given to applicants who can work 2 contracts consecutively in both regions. However, all applications will be considered. Please clearly indicate which contract you are applying for (Toronto, Ottawa, or both).
Due to COVID 19, Technicians must have experience teaching or training small groups of employees or students simultaneously. Technicians are required to train a small group of 6 students with little guidance from the Lead Instructor and no interaction with other Technicians.
Program Technicians will be involved in an industry-based training program that provides entry-level grounds crew training to 48 individuals in Toronto and Ottawa (24 per region), who need support to enter the field. This practical grounds-crew training will enable them to work productively, safely, and efficiently. The course will focus on developing essential skills and will enhance communication, problem-solving and critical thinking abilities. As a Program Technician, you must have the experience, expertise, and ability to effectively instruct in the arborist trade in Ontario. You will assist the Lead Instructor, with delivering curriculum and facilitating daily lessons that are engaging and focused on essential skills. In addition, you will evaluate student progress and maintain program documentation. The successful applicant will possess a combination of formal training, teaching experience, and work experience within the arboriculture field.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee students including daily activities;
- Provide effective instruction; comply with curriculum and daily work plans;
- Perform various tasks related to tree pruning and removal in a safe and efficient manner, as required;
- Effectively communicate learning objectives, measure learning outcomes, and conduct competency testing;
- Keep accurate records of student achievement and attendance, and maintain discipline and respect in an educational setting;
- Provide support and coaching to students and work with all internal and external program partners;
- Report to Lead Instructor and work with the Ground Worker Training Program (GWTP) Coordinator and The Career Foundation’s SAO Program Manager to discuss student issues etc., as required;
- Stay abreast of vocational and industry trends, employer requirements and new classroom instruction and techniques;
- Inspect arborist equipment and tools daily to ensure safety including, but not limited to, chainsaws, chippers, stumpers, rigging equipment, pulleys, ropes, etc.;
- Disinfect arborist equipment and tools daily to ensure safety including, but not limited to, chainsaws, chippers, stumpers, rigging equipment, pulleys, ropes, etc.
- Follow and enforce all COVID policies and procedures supplied by Delivery Partners
- Store and maintain records of inventory; provide maintenance to equipment as needed;
- Oversee training site facilities and maintain relationships with facility host organization;
- Provide maintenance on chainsaws and other machinery as required;
- Identify potential hazards in the workplace and mitigate potential hazards;
- Promote the program and its mission, goals and objectives;
- Operate, drive and/or transport rental equipment such as trucks, trailers, chippers, etc.;
- Participate in the Ground Worker Training Program graduation ceremony (date to be determined).
Skills and Abilities:
- Able to motivate and train within an environment that will ensure the safety of students, equipment, and materials while providing proper supervision of hands-on technical training;
- Sensitive to the needs of a diverse group of inexperienced students, including some groups that are underrepresented in the field of arboriculture;
- Able to identify and fairly monitor student’s learning outcomes and effectively manage the classroom environment to ensure proper behaviour, rules and policies are adhered to;
- Can effectively share knowledge and experience in a clear and concise manner; able to break down complex concepts and adapt teaching methods in order to enhance the learning experience for a diverse group of students;
- Able to assess tree health, identify insects and diseases, and apply modern principles, practices and techniques related to arboriculture;
- Professional, self-starter, who takes initiative and exercises good judgment;
- Problem-solving skills and experience with conflict management;
- Office administration and record-keeping skills, ability to maintain inventory and student attendance records;
- Ability to climb and work at heights.
- 3-5 years of experience teaching in the arborist trade is mandatory;
- Must currently hold one of the following two industry certifications/qualifications: Ministry issued Certificate of Qualification in the Arborist trade, or ISA Certification;
- Currently holds a Chainsaw Certification or equivalent training
- Successful completion of relevant education and training in arboriculture is required;
- G license required; D preferred;
- Valid CPR/First Aid and WAH certification;
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, WSIB, Arborist Safe Work Practices and other related Acts, Rules and Regulations;
- Use of personal vehicle, computers, internet, and cell phone required;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership and team management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups, including some requiring additional support;
- Experience supervising a group of students;
- Advanced knowledge of arborist theory and practices;
- Commitment to safe work practices and habits.
Full-Time Contracts: Toronto Region and/or Ottawa Region, 3-4 vacancies per region*
Toronto Contract: 5 weeks in January to mid-February
Ottawa Contract: 5 weeks in mid-February to April 1st
Wages: $40/hr for 35-40 hr per week (required travel may be reimbursed if eligible, rate TBD)
Reports to: Lead Instructor
Application Deadline: Friday, September 3rd, 2021 (11:59pm)
Date Updated 19/07/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
September 23, 2021
How to apply
- Application Deadline: Friday, September 3rd, 2021 (11:59pm)
- Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Please email resumes to Rachael Kowaleski: [email protected] – no calls, please
- Click on the link for a .pdf of the ad: 2021-Program Technician Job Posting
- Please note: Interviews for those people selected will be conducted the week of September 7 to 10, 2021.