November 1, 2021
Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy, and urbanization.
Our Waterloo office is looking to fill an Arborist / Field Technician position in our growing Canadian Operations.
- Carrying out accurate and complete tree inventories in support of a range of projects according to applicable guidelines, by-laws, and best management practices (BMPs);
- Assisting with the preparation of Arborist Reports, Tree Protection and Preservation Plans, and Restoration/Compensation Tree Planting Plans;
- Providing accurate and complete field notes;
- Data entry and data management;
- Working with CAD and/or GIS teams to produce figures;
- Collect point and topographic survey data to support tree inventory and arborist activities;
- Providing field and office support to other members of the group as required (e.g., botanical inventories, Ecological Land Classification, amphibian calling surveys, benthic surveys, erosion and sediment control inspections, water quality sampling and flow measurements, sanitary and storm sewer monitoring, statistical analyses, data entry and table preparation, etc.);
- Providing support to other groups or initiatives as required (e.g., construction oversite);
- Travel (generally within the province) will be required – an estimated 70% of time will be out of the office (dependent on project and seasonal requirements);
- Handling and disposing of samples and sampling equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 0-3 years of relevant experience, preferably in a consulting environment;
- Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Ecology, Biology, Forestry, Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, Arboriculture or related fields an asset;
- Credentials as an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist or ability to acquire ISA certification within 3 months of employment;
- Strong vegetation identification skills;
- ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) an asset;
- Canadian Inspector of Sediment and Erosion and Control (CISEC) certification an asset;
- Experience completing Site surveys using traditional survey methods and real-time kinematic (RTK) global positioning system (GPS) units;
- Detail-oriented, ability to provide accurate field and data records;
- Familiar and proficient with electronic data collection;
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings/plans;
- Ability to exercise good judgment;
- Self-motivated and able to balance multiple tasks;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Great teammate, collaborative with other staff;
- Ability to meet challenging deadlines;
- Comfortable working for extended durations throughout all seasons and during inclement/adverse weather conditions;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; and;
- Must own a reliable vehicle and hold a valid driver’s license.
As a diverse and inclusive organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Date Updated 29/10/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
January 1, 2022
How to apply