Cohen & Master Tree and Shrub Services
April 12, 2021
We are a Thornhill-based, locally-owned and operated full service tree care company with a growing, dedicated consulting division.
Our consulting clients are predominantly landscape architects, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, government agencies and private tree owners (home-owners). A large component and major focus of our consulting service is related to tree inventories and prescriptions for preservation of existing trees on development and re-development sites in the GTA. These projects range from individual residential to large commercial and residential buildings and municipal infrastructure projects. Our consulting services extend to include ravine restoration stewardship plans; appraisal of monetary value of woody plants; tree risk assessment; obtaining municipal approvals and permits for projects involving trees.
Consulting Arborist Main Responsibilities:
- Prepare competitive, job-specific quotations for consulting engagements
- Communicate effectively and prudently with clients/potential clients, allied professionals, stakeholder team members, private tree owners and the public at large
- Conduct inventories and assessments of existing woody vegetation on project sites
- Conduct site inspections to assess potential project-related impacts to existing trees
- Attend meetings on-site and at other locations as necessary
- Prepare technical reports, stewardship plans and tree protection plans
- Prepare photo documentation for use on plans and in reports
- Oversee/supervise construction activities related to protected trees
- Conduct tree value appraisals using CTLA methodology
- Prescribe tree care work related to development sites and ravine restoration work
- Provide recommendations for site-specific new plantings of trees and ravine and urban woodlot plantings
- Obtain up-to-date information by conducting literature reviews and on-line searches
- Read/interpret site plans, relevant municipal bylaws and contract or legal documents pertaining to arboriculture and urban forestry consulting
- Create/build relationships and communicate effectively with clients, client team, governing agencies and contractors
- Oversee file progression from first call to invoicing
- Graduate of a recognized program in urban forestry, environmental science, arboriculture, botany, or ecology
- Holder of a valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license, with a clean driving record
- Competent in technical report-writing, tree identification & assessment
- ISA Certified Arborist in good standing (or pay/pass the exam within 6 months)
- Practical knowledge of tree biology, tree biomechanics and arboricultural practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in tree protection and conservation on construction sites
- Some knowledge of up-to-date residential and commercial construction techniques
- Competency using CAD or related programs
- Working knowledge of ELC, soil sciences, ecological restoration
- Experience with tree value appraisal and tree risk assessment
- Certified Butternut Health Assessor
- ISA Tree Risk Assessor Qualification
- Holder of valid certificates in first aid, CPR and WHMIS
- Own reliable transportation to be used to get to and from job-sites
We place a high priority on the following personal skills and attributes:
Reliable, punctual, enthusiastic, detail-oriented, exercises discretion and good judgment, committed to high quality work and excellent customer service, able to work equally well in a team or individual atmosphere, able to think outside the box.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right individual to grow in this position and with our growing firm.
The position offers a wide range of freedoms, including length and shape of the work day/week (flex-time); flexibility to work from home, at our office or away; time off; area of specialization. (the latter is possible through co-operation and agreement with the other members of the team).
Competitive wages based on experience and qualifications.
We are arborists. We care for trees and people…
We look forward to hearing from anyone who feels the same way.
Date Updated 05/05/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
June 14, 2021
How to apply
Send your resume to [email protected] to arrange for an interview today!
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.