City of Vaughan
July 18, 2019
Director of Parks, Forestry and Horticulture Operations (JOB #J0719-0456)
We have an exciting opportunity in the Public Works Portfolio for an experienced and motivated individual. One of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing municipalities, with a mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is a sought-after place to live and work. Considered one of Canada’s most family and business friendly communities, the City of Vaughan has a dynamic and diverse population of over 320,000 and a large and successful employment sector. Vaughan, in policy and action, is committed to building “a city of choice” that promotes sustainability, diversity, innovation and opportunity for all citizens, supported by timely public and stakeholder engagement. Major city-building initiatives are underway such as the Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, the implementation of Regional Express Rail on the Barrie GO Corridor, the Highway 427 Extension, the opening of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension, and the completion of the Viva Rapid Transit system.
Reporting to the Deputy City Manager, Public Works, the Director of Parks, Forestry and Horticulture Operations is responsible for recommending and implementing strategic plans and goals relating to the City’s parks, forestry and horticulture services to maximize efficiencies and maintain both the short- and long-term vision for the City. This position also oversees review of park, forestry and horticulture considerations in development proposals, while maintaining strong working relationships with both internal departments and external agencies to ensure that the City’s objectives are met in a timely and efficient way.
Education & Skills Required:
- A University Degree in Landscape Architecture, Forestry, Engineering, Business, Public Administration, related degree or suitable equivalent;
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience, including a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience at a senior management level in a parks, forestry or horticulture environment, or equivalent municipal or public sector environment;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and change management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with executive management and skilled in influencing, negotiating, and consensus building among diverse groups;
- Semonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a proven ability to build strong relationships both internally and externally;
- High level critical thinking skills with the ability to perform in a proactive and strategic manner and plan, prioritize, and balance multiple responsibilities and shifting priorities successfully.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
Salary Range: $146,149 – $177,468
Date Ad Expires
August 14, 2019
How to apply
To explore this opportunity in further detail, please visit our website at www.vaughan.ca/careers to submit your resume and related information online by Wednesday, August 14, 2019.
Vaughan is an equal opportunity employer. The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE