City of Vaughan
September 6, 2019
Temporary Arborist (JOB # J0819-0858)
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Temporary Unionized opportunity in the Parks, Forestry and Horticulture Operations Department for an experienced and motivated individual.
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest-growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family-friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top-performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Promotes a sustainable urban forest as part of managing municipal assets, including support for the administration of forestry contracts and municipal by-laws as related to the urban forest. Responsible for the maintenance of city-owned trees by pruning and removing of trees from the ground, by climbing and by the operation of an aerial device in accordance with standard arboriculture practices; leads-crew activities as assigned, prepares job site and inspects and maintains equipment; performs tree planting, pesticide application, mulching, fertilizing and irrigation. Inspects and provides detailed reports on tree inventory, hazard tree assessment, regular tree inspections, sub-division guaranteed maintenance & assumption inspections and storm and emergency tree response. Also responsible for performing winter snow plowing and removal operations.
Qualifications and experience:
- Community College Diploma in Arboriculture, Forestry or suitable equivalent;
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience as an Arborist including two (2) years of tree climbing experience and one year experience coordinating the work of others;
- Holder of International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Arborist Certification;
- Obtain and maintain First Aid, CPR, Electrical Utilities Safety Association Electrical Awareness Certificate and Tree Rescue certification;
- Obtain and maintain Land Exterminator License Type 60;
- Valid class “DZ” and “G” driver’s license in good standing;
- Successful completion of a chainsaw safety, chipper, stumper, climbing, aerial device rescue, backhoe/loader and crane operations certificate program, as well as a Traffic Control program;
- Working knowledge of tree physiology and biology, tree health, common insects & disease, hazard, applicable federal and provincial legislation (ie: CFIA) and City bylaws (ie: Tree Protection By-law #052-2018);
- Strong experience in equipment maintenance, MS Office, GPS and GIS applications;
- Able to lead a crew, train staff, and communicate in a positive manner with tact and diplomacy, both oral and written with staff and the public;
- Able to perform at heights, perform heavy lifting 1-50 Kg, and operate a variety of different forestry equipment;
- Demonstrate strong tree identification skills and ability to identify defects and makes recommendation for follow-up maintenance requirements;
- Knowledge of Health and Safety regulations as related to job duties. Good communication skills; ability to work effectively and courteously with staff and the public;
- Ability to demonstrate and maintain knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position;
- Be placed on call and be available to work outside of regular working hours, in adverse weather conditions, in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Arborist – Schedule ‘A’ Equipment:
- Chainsaws, Pole Saws, Brush Saws
- Brush / Stump Cutters
- Chippers (self-powered and PTO)
- Backhoe, Loader, Tractor, Skidsteer
- Various hand tools, Pole Pruners, hand saw, auger, etc.
- Aerial devices
- Sidewalk Snowplows / Plow Truck
- Trucks, Bucket Truck, Truck/Trailer combinations
- Compressors, Pumps, Pressure Washers
Salary range: $29.48 – $36.83 /hour
Date Ad Expires
September 25, 2019
How to apply
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here to apply online by Wednesday, September 25, 2019. Temporary Arborist (JOB # J0819-0858).
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.