City of Thunder Bay
December 6, 2019
Arborist/Tree Truck Operator
Thunder Bay, ON
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor – Forestry & Horticulture and technical direction of the Leadhand Arborist, operates equipment and vehicles for the maintenance of Parks facilities and grounds. Must be willing to work at heights, be available for overtime and be available for emergency call-outs.
- Maintains trees from the ground, operates tree truck with aerial device or climbs trees using proper accepted tree climbing techniques and current arboriculture practices;
- Working within a crew, performs tree trimming, tree removal, stump grinding and other vegetation management duties;
- Operates equipment with machine operator classification;
- Performs minor servicing of equipment;
- Reports equipment defects to Supervisor;
- Records data related to the operation of the Urban Forestry Program, as required;
- Provides information to and responds to enquiries from the public regarding tree related concerns;
- Participates in work related safety training programs, staff training and development;
- Carries out caretaker and maintenance duties on winter rinks if required;
- Performs other Park Worker duties as may be assigned.
- Secondary school graduation;
- Current certification as an Arborist from either the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) or Ministry of Training Colleges & Universities (MTCU) with a minimum of one (1) year experience conducting active tree care using aerial lifts and approved climbing techniques;
- Must possess a valid certificate in chain saw operation
- Must demonstrate an ability to work at heights from aerial lift platforms and tree climbing techniques;
- Must be proficient in the operation of all equipment used in this classification;
- Must be capable of issuing and accurately comprehending written/oral information and instructions;
- Must have the ability to deal with the public in a tactful, courteous manner;
- Must be reliable and capable of performing routine work with minimum supervision;
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class “D” Ontario Drivers Licence, or equivalent with a ‘Z’ endorsement’;
- Must meet the definition of a competent driver as defined by the Corporation;
- Must have a working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it applies to this work.
- Current Working at Heights Training certification through the Ministry of Labour
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Will be required to attend ongoing training when necessary;
- Must remain a competent driver as defined by the Corporation;
- May be required to provide a successful driver’s record (uncertified);
- Must be physically able of performing the assigned duties;
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC).
Number of Positions: 2
Effective Date: April 13, 2017
Supersedes Date: April 16, 2013
Posted Date: December 6, 2019
Post End Date: December 16, 2019
Job Title: Arborist/Tree Truck Operator
Competition Number: INF-142-19
Department: Infrastructure & Operations
Posting Category: Open
Division: Engineering & Operations
Job Type: Full-Time
Affiliation: CUPE Local 87
Site: Forestry & Horticulture
Location: CA-ON-Thunder Bay
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
Salary range: Min: CAD $26.47 – Max: CAD $26.47/Hr.
Date Ad Expires
December 16, 2019
How to apply
For more information or to apply, visit www.thunderbay.ca/jobs.