City of Mississauga
December 12, 2020
Forestry Long Term Temp
950 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Mississauga, ON
Working for the City of Mississauga means you are part of something big, something special! You will be part or a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people that are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga. Take pride in working in our Forestry and Natural woodland preservation areas. Come join the Forestry group at the City of Mississauga and become part of the rich heritage in our City!
Employment Period: Monday March 1, 2021 to Friday November 26, 2021
Please note: Due to the uncertainty we are facing during the COVID-19 pandemic, the recruitment of these positions is dependent on available vacancies and business operation needs.
Learn more from Cameron on what it is like to be a Forestry Labourer at the City, HERE!
Minimum 5 years’ experience in the Arboriculture or Ecology field or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
• Diploma and/or certificate in Arboriculture, Forestry, Natural Resources, Ecology, or ISA Arborist Certification is required.
• Must have knowledge of all applicable Acts and Regulations related to Forestry operations
• Ability to perform moderately strenuous tasks outdoors, with the potential for rough terrain and adverse weather conditions
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• You may be required to work weekends and evenings
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class G minimum with a driving record that meets City standards (proof will be required at time of interview). Access to a personal vehicle is also necessary.
• Must hold Emergency First Aid CPR “C” certification (proof will be required at the time of interview)
• Ability to deal with the public courteously and effectively
• Performs data entry, analysis and interpretation of projects
• Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
• Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers, Outlook, HAT-F, GIS software)
• Proven experience and knowledge relevant to tree installation/tree maintenance required
• Proficient floral identification skills preferred
• Knowledge of invasive plants and pests preferred
• Good interpersonal skills and strong organizational skills
• Understanding of applicable Health and Safety regulations and Occupational Health & Safety Act
• Understanding of OTM’s Book 7 for Temporary Conditions
• Must possess Green Patch CSA approved safety boots, 6”-8” to cover ankle made of suede or leather material
• Support city staff and assist in the management of tree planting projects on municipal boulevards and parks with contractors and/or volunteer groups
• Support and assist in the management of projects associated with Emerald Ash Borer including; inspections, removals, stump removal, tree replacement, treatment and restoration of woodlands and natural areas
• Assist with the installation and removal of Water Bags on municipal boulevards
• Support and assist with Warranty Tree inspections and administration
• Assists with the administration of various Forestry related contracts
• Assists in conducting tree inspections and invoice verification as required
• Support staff to manage nuisance weeds, tall grass and private tree bylaws
• Assist with development-related tree preservation issues and permitting
• Data collection and entry
• Other duties as assigned
• Working outdoors during all seasons and weather conditions;
• Exposure to vibration, unpleasant smells, fumes, and dust;
• Exposure to grass, weeds, and other potential outdoor allergens, and various insects;
• Requires bending, lifting heavy equipment and objects (up to 55 lbs), climbing, walking, pushing, sitting, standing and repetitive motion;
$22.26 – $24.85
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $22.26 - $24.85
Date Updated 12/12/2020
Status NewDate Ad Expires
January 31, 2021
How to apply
To view the full job posting and apply, follow the link below
Please note: All successful candidates will be required to submit 2 references to the City of Mississauga for obtaining employment reference information as a part of the recruitment process. You will be required to complete the form below and upload it as an “Additional Document” if you are successful in the recruitment process.
Consent to Contact References
1. Click this link and complete the Consent to Contact References
2. Save the document as Your Name_Consent to Contact References
Employment offer is conditional upon providing a Level 2- Criminal and Judicial Matters Check, at your own expense, that is acceptable to the City of Mississauga to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted