City of Markham
September 3, 2021
Job Title: Arborist
Employer: City of Markham
Location: Markham, ON, CA
Salary Range: CAD $30.19 to $30.64 Hourly
Worker Category: Regular Full Time
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
Applications are now being accepted for the regular full-time position of Arborist in the Urban Forestry Operations Department, Community & Fire Services Commission. While all applications will be received, current members of CUPE 905 (Outside Workers) will be given first consideration. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by September 14, 2021.
Join us and make a lasting difference!
A position with the City of Markham offers the chance to make a difference by providing the highest quality customer service to our growing community. With us, you will enjoy being part of a multicultural workforce with a dynamic culture and a desire to be the best.
The City is looking for a detail oriented individual who works well within a team and independently as needed. Reporting to the Working Supervisor, Urban Forestry, you will be responsible for performing all arboricultural related duties on City boulevards, parks and open spaces. You will be assisting with on-call Urban Forestry Winter Operations that includes walkway clearance at Community Centres. You may also respond to public inquiries while in the field, maintain related equipment and tools, and assist with the operations maintenance activities including on-call winter snow removal.
• A certificate or diploma in Arboriculture or Urban Forestry from a recognized institution. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
• Two (2) years of directly related experience including the operation, routine maintenance, and safe use of related equipment
• An ISA Certified Arborist and/or Tree Worker designation (or willing to obtain conditionally within the first 4 months of employment),
• Candidates must be knowledgeable in current accepted industry practices and be physically fit and able to work in varying climate conditions. Demonstrations of the foregoing qualifications may be required through written, oral and practical examinations;
• Excellent customer service and problem solving skills required, as well as demonstrated good judgment.
• You must be physically capable of performing all related tasks to arboricultural practices
• Must possess a class “DZ” Ontario Driver’s licence with a satisfactory driver’s abstract (no demerit points and no more than one moving and one non-moving violation)
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
• ISA Certification (tree worker, utility, arborist), and/or
• Ontario Certified Arborist Certificate of Qualification (within the past 10 years), and
• Proficient experience with bucket truck operation, and
• 3-5 years of tree climbing experience
• 1 year of bucket truck operation
• Valid First Aid, CPR
• Book 7 training and understanding
• Working at Heights Training
• Proven teamwork ability
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Implement assigned arboriculture work records including pruning, removal and cabling according to current policies and procedures and generally accepted maintenance practice(s);
• Operate specialized equipment including aerial bucket trucks, chippers, chain saws, stumper and standard tree climbing equipment where required in a safe and efficient manner;
• Maintain written records as required, tree maintenance work records, activity cards and safety plans;
• May be required to provide work direction and training to other staff and carry out duties that meet Health and Safety standards in a safe and responsible manner;
• Ability to use tablet computer in order to update completed work electronically;
• Duties include and are not limited to area pruning projects, woodlands tree maintenance, including diagnosing tree maintenance requirements and occasional service requests;
• Required to participate in a standby schedule on a rotational basis, throughout the winter, includes after hours service; operating snow removal equipment
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $30.19 to $30.64
Date Updated 03/09/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
September 15, 2021
How to apply