City of Markham
July 22, 2021
Supervisor, Parks Forestry Operations
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume at https://bit.ly/supervisor-forestry by August 1, 2021. Please select current opportunities and apply now.
Join us and make a lasting difference!
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Parks Horticulture and Forestry, you will be responsible for the coordination, supervision, and administration of forestry maintenance functions for the City of Markham.
Key responsibilities include:
- Staff deployment and field supervision for maintenance and repair work related to City-owned trees, both in parks and on municipal boulevards, stormwater management ponds natural areas, and forest woodlots;
- Winter operations supervision including inspection and assessment of pavement surface conditions, snow plowing/removal, and sanding/salting/deicing on roads, sidewalks, pathways, and municipal facility parking lots, etc.;
- Provide assistance to community-related events including coordination of setup, takedown of road closures and associated signage, barricades and fencing, garbage containers, portable washrooms, forestry information, and public education;
- Lead with preparation and evaluation of tenders, coordinating contract start-up upon bid award, inspecting and supervising contracted and project work and materials/supplies delivery in the field, tracking contractor/supplier performance, coordinating stake-outs and necessary permits, trouble-shooting with contractors/suppliers/staff in the field, coordinating the timing and delivery large scale capital projects, completing necessary reports/documentation related to contracted services and ensuring health & safety and legislative/regulatory compliance;
- Staff supervision, coaching, and development;
- Assisting with budget preparation and administering assigned budgets including reconciliation/authorization of accounts;
- Contributing to the Operations Department work/business planning;
- Championing the corporate, commission, and departmental vision, mission, and values;
- Supervises assigned staff including scheduling of work, staff training/development, health & safety and other regulatory compliance, performance management/review, coaching/mentoring, collective agreement administration, payroll submissions, progressive discipline, and termination recommendations.
- We require the successful candidate to have a Community College Diploma, Degree or equivalent in Arboriculture or related field;
- 5 years progressive experience in contract/project administration in a high-volume municipal roads maintenance environment, including supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
Salary Rate: 81799 - 96241
Date Updated 22/07/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
August 1, 2021
How to apply
If you would like additional details about this opportunity and to apply, please visit www.Markham.ca/employment
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible, and barrier-free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier-free hiring process.