City of Kitchener
March 21, 2022
Forestry Field Technician
131 Goodrich Dr. Kitchener, ON.
This Forestry Field Technician plays a key role within the Forestry team by actively participating and being involved on various urban forestry projects and performing work ranging from contractor administration to inspections and monitoring associated with the City’s tree planting program, stump removal program and other tree maintenance tenders/contracts, performing site inspections to mitigate risks and hazards on City road reconstruction and development projects in support of resource protection and tree conservation goals, and review and inspections of trees being planted in new subdivisions and on City-led Park development and rehabilitation projects. This position will act as the primary lead on the City’s on-going inventory of City trees along streets and in parks by measuring and assessing tree health, structure and risk (level I and II) and through this daily work will also identify, monitor, survey for and help with treatment techniques for urban forestry pest populations and tree diseases.
- 2-4 years of related experience;
- Candidates that demonstrate direct experience in forestry projects within a municipal or similar setting preferred.;
- Must have strong knowledge of tree risk assessment necessary to evaluate tree risk and collect detailed information about specific tree parts, defects, targets or site conditions;
- Must have a sound understanding and familiarity with tree biology and mechanics that affect tree risk;
- Knowledge of tree identification, disease and pest identification, tree appraisal and evaluations;
- Must have strong technical field skills and an experience following set protocols and processes to ensure data accuracy and consistency;
- Ability to work independently, schedule daily tasks and prioritize requests and information;
- Must have in-depth knowledge of personal computer systems and competence in working with job-related software applications related to word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and inventory and maintenance management systems;
- Experience with GIS considered an asset;
- Must have exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to deal with a wide variety of people;
- Must have demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have the ability to participate as an effective team member;
- Must have an MTO Class “G” driver’s license in good standing and access to a personal vehicle for city business.
- 2 year degree or diploma in Forestry, Arboriculture, Environmental Studies, or an associated field;
- Must be an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certified arborist in good standing and possess an ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) certification or able to get certification in 12 months.
Salary Rate: $58,558-$73, 196
Date Updated 21/03/2022
Status NewDate Ad Expires
May 22, 2022
How to apply