City of Kingston
October 29, 2021
SKILLED LABOURER - CERTIFIED ARBORIST - J1021-0812
City of Kingston, Ontario
We acknowledge that the City of Kingston is situated on traditional Anishinabek (Ah- nish-in-ah-bay), Haudenosaunee (Ho-den-o-show-nee) and Huron-Wendat (huron-wen·dat) territory and is the home of many Indigenous peoples. We are grateful to reside and work on this land.
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of Trust, Respect, Integrity and Pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, Persons with Disabilities and persons who identify as members *2SLGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
The Certified Arborist will assist and participate in all aspects of tree pruning, removals, cable and bracing planting and after care using industry accepted practices including stumping operations. This position will operate the aerial truck, chipper, and crane truck and maintain all equipment.
The Certified Arborist will perform tree climbing procedures using industry accepted practices as recognized by either I.S.A. and or the Ontario Apprenticeship Arborist program, including working in proximity to energized conductors.
- Assist and participate in all aspects of tree pruning, removals, cable and bracing planting and after care, using industry accepted practices, including stumping operations;
- Operate and maintain equipment including: aerial trucks, chippers, and crane trucks;
- Perform tree climb procedures (rope and rig) using industry accepted practices as recognized by either I.S.A. and or the Apprenticeship Arborist program, including working in proximity to energized conductors;
- Assist in other operational needs as required by the Public Works Department;
- Maintain city owned trees by inspection, monitor and treat to ensure they are healthy, safe and suitable to community standards;
- Perform tree planting, transplanting, pruning, structural support, mulching, fertilizing and irrigation;
- Prepare job site and inspect and maintain equipment;
- Demonstrate superior customer service when interacting with the public;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must possess and be willing to update Electrical Utilities Safety Association (EUSA) certification;
- Must complete and pass “Physical Skills and Arboriculture Knowledge and Bucket Operation Test”;
- Possess and maintain a valid Ontario ‘DZ’ Driver’s License with satisfactory drivers abstract;
- Mobile Crane License is considered an asset;
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: Customer Focus, Results Orientation, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Able to perform the essential duties of the job;
- Able to update and maintain ISA Certification;
- Able to work outside in major weather conditions and in potentially dangerous conditions;
- Able to interact with the public and fellow employees in a polite manner;
- Able to work and participate as a member of a team;
- Must meet requirements of Competent Person as identified in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA);
- Able to operate all equipment and machinery in an efficient and safe manner;
- Demonstrate an understanding of hydraulics;
- Computer skills considered an asset;
- Proof of immunity to Tetanus and Hepatitis B may be required;
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check, at candidates own expense.
Salary: Hourly Rate
Date Updated 26/11/2021
Status NewDate Ad Expires
December 16, 2021
How to apply
Please apply to Internal Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/MyCareer
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at [email protected]
Your resumé must demonstrate how you meet position requirements. Please upload to your profile any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position. We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.