City of Burlington
March 4, 2019
CUPE Local 44
Full Time Permanent
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry, the Arborist provides day to day care and maintenance of trees in order to keep the city’s urban forest in a healthy and safe condition.
The Arborist is responsible for:
● Climbing, pruning and removing city owned trees from the ground or using an aerial device
● Operating specialized forestry equipment such as chainsaws, wood chippers, aerial devices and industrial vehicles
● Maintaining equipment including sharpening saws and pruners, inspecting ropes and harnesses
● Planning, setting up and securing work sites and providing traffic control when required
● Providing assessments, inspections and proper identification of trees and conditions
● Cleaning up job sites by raking, sweeping and disposing of wood material
Candidates must have a valid DZ class license with a clean driving record. Extensive experience operating related equipment such as trucks with aerial device, brush chipper, climbing spurs, pole pruners, brace and bit, safety harness, etc. A thorough understanding of standard arboricultural practices and Arborist Safe Work Practices is required. The successful applicant must possess strong initiative to determine the extent of work to be performed. At least three years of equivalent arboriculture work experience, along with a college diploma in arboriculture or equivalent.
The successful candidate must be ISA or MTCU certified Arborist or equivalent. Mobile crane license (0-8 ton) is considered an asset. Working knowledge of GIS, Work order management systems is considered an asset. Strong customer focus and self-motivation is necessary to be successful in this role. This position works a Monday to Friday day shift schedule. The successful candidate must be available to work overtime as needed or respond in the event of an emergency.
The rate of pay for this position is $26.60 per hour – 90% of the hourly rate ($29.56) for 12 months, after which the hourly rate will be 95% of the hourly rate for 12 additional months.
There is a six month probationary period.
Date Ad Expires
March 12, 2019
How to apply
To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Please note that applications are only accepted online.
If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.