City of Burlington
January 10, 2022
This position is required to work outdoors in all range of climate conditions. Work location is subject to change at the discretion of the City due to operational demands.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry Operations, the Arborist provides day to day care and maintenance of trees in order to keep the city’s urban forest in a healthy and safe condition.
The Arborist is responsible for:
- Climbing, pruning and removing city owned trees from the ground or using an aerial device;
- Operating specialized forestry equipment such as chainsaws, wood chippers, aerial devices and industrial vehicles;
- Maintaining equipment including sharpening saws and pruners, inspecting ropes and harnesses;
- Planning, setting up and securing work sites and providing traffic control when required;
- Providing assessments, inspections and proper identification of trees and conditions;
- Cleaning up job sites by raking, sweeping and disposing of wood material
Candidates must have:
- A valid DZ class driver’s license is required with an acceptable driver’s abstract [no more than three (3) driving related convictions and an accumulation of no more than three (3) demerit points in the previous three (3) years prior to the date of hire].
- Extensive experience operating related equipment such as trucks with aerial device, brush chipper, climbing spurs, pole pruners, cable and bolt, safety harness, etc.
- A thorough understanding of standard arboricultural practices and Arborist Safe Work Practices is required.
- The successful applicant must possess strong initiative to determine the extent of work to be performed.
- At least three years of equivalent arboriculture work experience, along with a college diploma in arboriculture or equivalent.
- The successful candidate must be ISA or MTCU certified Arborist or equivalent.
- Mobile crane license (0-8 ton) is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of GIS, Work order management systems is considered an asset.
- Strong customer focus and self-motivation is necessary to be successful in this role.
- This position works a Monday to Friday day shift schedule.
- The successful candidate must be available to work overtime as needed or respond in the event of an emergency.
- The rate of pay for this position is $31.35 per hour – 95% of the hourly rate ($33.00) for the first six (6) months after which the hourly rate will be 100% of the hourly rate. There is a six- month probationary period.
Salary: Hourly Rate
Hourly Rate: $31.35 for first 6 months
Date Updated 10/01/2022
Status NewDate Ad Expires
January 19, 2022
How to apply
To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Please note that applications are only accepted online. If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Burlington accommodates the individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call us at 905-335-7602 or email us at: [email protected] if you require accommodation to ensure your equal participation in the recruitment and selection process