City of Burlington
March 10, 2020
Forest Protection Officer
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forest Planning & Health, this position is responsible for the administration, interpretation, education and enforcement of public and private tree by-laws, and other applicable by-laws or regulations that is the responsibility of the Roads, Parks & Forestry Department.
- Enforcement of the public and private tree by law, codes, regulations and legislation. This includes responding to and making recommendations for resolution of complaints and follow up responsibilities;
- Administer the conditions of the City and Private Tree by-laws, including permit application and plan review, site inspections, issuance of infractions, attending court, and issuing and cancelling of tree permits;
- Work as part of a team in an inter-departmental setting for all tree permit applications;
- Conduct ongoing tracking and analysis of tree permits, replacement quantities and cash in lieu values received as directed by the Supervisor, Forest Protection;
- Respond to the general public, mayor and members of Council and other government agencies pertaining to the public and private tree by-laws;
- Fosters positive working relationships with various municipalities, departments, private sector partners, NGOs, and other stakeholders;
- Carries out inspections and ensures subsequent compliance on permits assigned. Maintains accurate and up to date records on all inspections completed;
- Will be responsible to work independently.
- 2-3 years related experience;
- Sound knowledge and experience in computer use including Microsoft Office Windows and Office applications;
- Must be able to use the department’s computerized building records system (AMANDA).
- Degree or Diploma in related field such as Arboriculture, Forestry, or Landscape Architecture;
- Degree/Diploma in law enforcement or public administration would be an asset;
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) is required;
- Certified Municipal Law Enforcement Officer (M.L.E.O.) designation preferred;
- Knowledge of the Planning Act, the Municipal Act, the Forestry Act is required;
- Knowledge of the Ontario Building Act and Code would be an asset.
Status NewDate Ad Expires
March 27, 2020
How to apply
To apply, please visit www.burlington.ca/careers and click on “View Jobs”. Please note that applications are only accepted online. If you require assistance, please contact Human Resources at 905-335-7602.